Emergency procedure in case of leaks & spills: In case of any leaks or spills of gas is observed or any emergent situation is seen, following emergency procedure should be followed.
- Inform to the entity executives.
- Remove all ignition sources.
- Isolate leaks as soon as possible
- Stop all hot works and withdraw work permit/ clearance issued for work in and around affected unit/ area.
- Do not permit any vehicle other than emergency vehicles fitted with a spark arrestor to enter the area. Keep other vehicles as it is with the engine in the stop position.
- Try to isolate the section safely.
- If dangerous gases e.g. Natural Gas leaks clear the area and stand the upwind direction of the leak.
- Approach leaks or spills from the upwind side.
- When dealing with leaks or spills, always ensure that the escape route pathway around the area is clear.
- Water spray can be applied to disperse the cloud.
- If leakage or spillage is liquid, try to contain it. Try to contain spillage in a small area as much as possible by using sand etc.
- When dealing with chemical leaks, full protective clothing must be worn before entering the area.
- While entering into an area in which leak is there, always keep a man standby.
Emergency procedure in case of Fire: In case any fire is observed, the following emergency procedure should be followed;
- Immediately inform to Fire brigade & to the entity executives.
- Shut down the equipment in operations.
- The inlet valves should be closed immediately at CNG stations. In the pipeline system both the SVs between which emergency has occurred should be closed as early as possible.
- Put “EMERGENCY RESPONSE PLAN” in action.
- If you are not involved in the control of the Emergency go to the nearest assembly point and wait for further instruction.
- Ensure everything is safe before you leave your area.
- If you are in running Vehicle, stop it, park it safely and proceed to the nearest assembly point leaving enough space for movement of fire vehicles.
- Do not start Vehicle unless told.
- Do not create panic, confusion, and crowd at the Emergency site.
- Leave room and road for Fire Tender and Ambulance.
- Guide Contract personnel and visitors to the nearest assembly point.
Re-entry procedures after release of CO2 : In case release of CO2 flooding system in Compressor package at CNG station, the following precautions are required to be taken;
- Never enter the area immediately after releasing the flooding agent.
- Put barricading tape in the entrance to prevent accidental entry in the affected area.
- Check the O2 level by oxygen detector, reading should be more than 20% for further entry.
- Ventilate the affected area by opening all doors.
- Persons should always be present outside to help the person entering the compressor package.
The above is a general requirement for emergency handling. The action shall depend upon the prevailing condition during any emergency. Please refer ERDMP of respective cities for more detail.